The NHS is incredible, there’s no doubt about it – but its funds are limited. We need your help – read on to see how you can get involved.
Originally this page started “If Clara recovers from her next operation she’s expected to live in the Oxford Children’s Hospital for at least a year”
Thankfully Clara is now home, but she has had a rollercoaster life so far, including eight surgical procedures, three of which were life saving. She’s a fighter, and we have a long road ahead.
Approximately 60,000 other children a year will be treated at Oxford Children’s Hospital. Please help us ensure that they receive the same fantastic care and experience we did.
This is CJ’s Mission. We are fundraising to make this a reality.
2019 fundraising events:
- OX5 Run, Blenheim Palace, 24th March 2019You can sponsor Clara’s Mum here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/cjsmission
- Our popular Auction & Quiz night is returning for 2019 to Oxford on March 29th. For more details, or, if you can donate to our raffle or auction, (however big or small) please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
In 2018, we raised over £8,000! Thank you!
SSNAP: Support for the Sick Newborns and their Parents: We donated (thanks to your generosity on our dedicated Amazon Wish List) over 150 brand new books and a bookcase for the NICU parents room, designed to encourage parents to read to (and therefore bond with) their poorly babies. You can find out more about our Books for Baby project here.
Ronald Mcdonald House Oxford: providing free ‘home from home’ accommodation for families with children in hospital. I slept next to Clara’s cot on the ward most nights but I was able to use Ronald Mcdonald facilities to shower.
- 4 x pair of white bath towels
- 3 x flexible laundry basket
- 2 x 60 litre laundry basket
- 1 x soft handled can opener
- 1 x 12 piece drinking glass set
- 4 x white single fitted sheets
- 4 x pair of white housewife pillowcases
- 1 x pair of touch table lamps
- 2 x 4 pack of pillows
- 4 x Musbury satin stripe duvet cover
The Children’s Hospital Wards:
- 4 x recliner armchairs for the neonatal bay to allow parents to have close contact with their baby. ‘Kangaroo care’ has been medically proven to be beneficial to children’s recovery.
- 12 x stethoscopes
- 2 x auxilla neonatal thermometers
- 2 x portable saturation monitors
- 6 x drip stands (having one of the few decent drip stands has been my lifeline – it’s allowed me to explore the ward with Clara for the hours she wants to be held but moving, and has allowed us to make the most of the sensory room)
- Cutlery and crockery for the ‘parents room’ – the only child free zone on the ward which gives us breathing and thinking time, along with a place to heat up our dinner and have a cup of coffee
- Soft furnishings (cushions) to make the parents room more like a living room at home
- 40 activity books including themed colouring and sticker books for kids, and writing sets and Mindfulness colouring books for teenagers, colouring pens, colouring pencils
- Playdough for the play specialists to distract children pre and post op
- Air drying clay for the play specialists (to make casts of long term babies hands and feet as memorable tokens for their parents)
- 10 x desk top fans to go to next to the cots/beds on warm days (it’s a greenhouse in here!)
Rosie’s Rainbow Fund:
- 1 x iPad for teenage music therapy classes
- 5 x percussion instruments to ensure music therapy, which Clara has weekly, is able to continue to support children’s development whilst in hospital.
We will also be donating a specialist baby bath to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Currently their bath has a plug hole, but no plug – just a long tube that needs to be clipped back up onto the side of the bath. If the tube slips off, NICU is flooded… It’s scary enough bathing a very poorly baby, let alone with concerns about a plastic clip!
With your help, we can make a very difficult year for some the best it can possibly be for future families here.
Past fundraising events
Oxford Half Marathon, October 2018
Clara’s Auntie Jemma is ran her first half marathon in aid of SSNAP.
Oxford Children’s Hospital cycle ride to Paris, March 2018
Clara’s Uncle George cycled 500km from the Children’s Hospital to Paris on the 7th March 2018. George raised £4,700!
A charity auction of promises, pub quiz, and raffle night
A fantastic event held on the 29th March 2018. With a couple hundred people in attendance, we raised £2500 on the auction and £1130 at the pub quiz and raffle!
Pub quiz teams with their thinking hats on